SV Law is a niche London-based legal practice. We specialise in local government law, with a particular focus on education and community care matters.
Our work is mainly for:-
- Local Authorities
- Schools (including Academies)
We have been the contracted external education law specialists to a large London Local Authority since 1997. We also have considerable experience of housing litigation for Housing Departments and regulatory matters for Environmental Services Departments.
Our offices are in Ealing, West London, within easy reach of Underground, train and road networks.
Our work with Local Authorities
Education and Community Care
Our range of experience includes:-
- General Advice across full range of Education and Social Care functions (School Transport, School Reorganisations, Discrimination, Special Educational Needs, Community Care, Care Assessments, Admissions, Exclusions). Advising officers at all levels including Directors and Chief Executives, and Headteachers).
- Defending Judicial Reviews and Upper Tribunal challenges on points of law. Numerous reported successful ground breaking decisions.
- Assisting successfully with complex litigation (challenges to major school closures, libel allegations against auditors, disputes with governors).
- Costs Disputes; we have achieved excellent outcomes in costs assessment disputes with Claimant firms.
- Preparing responses to Ombudsman complaints.
- Statutory Training for Panellists for Admissions Appeals and Exclusion Reviews. Highly popular and cost effective training.
- Clerking Admission Appeals and Exclusion Reviews. Including bullet proof decision letters.
- First Tier Tribunal case preparation and advocacy (placements, contents of Statements, disability discrimination).
- Injunctions against Individuals threatening staff (in Schools, Housing Offices, Town Halls).
- Employment Disputes involving teachers
- Timely updates on legal developments in our specialist areas
Housing Authorities and Environmental Services
We have experience of both high volume and complex litigation as follows:-
- Re-possession and disrepair proceedings for Social Landlords
- Prosecutions and enforcement across the environmental health sphere (noise nuisance; health, safety and licensing, planning)
“He offers officers a real feeling of “we can manage” whatever the issue is that they are having to deal with”
Divisional Director from a London Borough CYPS